Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability assesment or scanner Tools
From: Brian Laing <brian () redseal net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 08:36:07 -0700

Something else to think about is what what type of scanning are you looking to do. Some scanners are better at blind scanning while others are better at credential based scanning. The credential based scanner will usually give you a safer scan since it logs into the box rather then probing the service to detect the vulns. This is typically the type of scanner I recommend for people that just need a list of vulnerabilities for their network.

Other scanners are more application based meaning that they are built to detect possible zero day vulns in custom applications. From your statement I am guessing you are not looking for an application scanner. Also give some thought as to the structure of your network and where you want/need to scan from. Most networks I have manually done threat mapping on where some what segmented. So scanning from one spot to all locations does not typically work. This is also true if you want to determine what is exposed from the outside.

If you like I would be happy to chat with you on the phone in more detail. Just drop me an email to schedule a time to chat.

Cheers,
brian

Brian Laing
Chief Security Officer