Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network monitoring PC.
From: John Mason Jr <john.mason.jr () cox net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:43:31 -0500

Nick Vaernhoej wrote:
Good afternoon,

I am looking for ideas for software ideal for installation on a PC which
will be used for monitoring our LAN/WAN.
The WAN is over a MPLS circuit so nothing out of the ordinary needed for
monitoring.
The PC will be plugged into a mirrored port when needed, so what I am
thinking is a Linux build with ntop, wireshark/tcpdump and what else?
I am not opposed to a Windows install at all.
Just looking for ideas.
Single workstation, mirrored port, only monitoring, not mitigating or
actively scanning.

Thank you and have a great weekend!

Nick Vaernhoej

This electronic transmission is intended for the addressee (s) named above. It contains information that is
privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient you
are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copy, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any
action in reliance on its contents, or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in
error, please notify the sender that this message was received in error and then delete this message.
Thank you.

<http://www.securixlive.com/knoppix-nsm/>

John

  By Date           By Thread