Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: VMware ESX
From: "Captain Quirk" <i.c.weiner () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:30:24 -0700

NOBODY has any feedback about this? That's really surprising. Like,
REALLY surprising...

My (limited) understanding is that if they hack into a machine within
the cluster they've essentially hacked into EVERY machine in that
cluster. How big of a deal that is, though, I'm not sure. If you
consider that the same can be said if someone hacks into any machine
on your NETWORK, then what's the difference?

I also note you said "cluster"; are you referring hacking into the ESX
layer and not the guest OS? At the ESX layer there are proof of
concept attacks but none in the wild that I am aware of. Any body's
guess as to how vulnerable you would be, as well. I suppose a lot of
that would depend on best practices and how they're adopted to your
network. I'd also make sure IDS was running and pushing the data off
to a remote syslog server...

Can anyone expand on this, please? Personally I'd love to get a
greater understanding....

Thanks.

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:23 AM, Paul Heywood