Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: FW/IPS log correlation software
From: "Kevin Ortloff" <Kevin.Ortloff () j2global com>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:59:46 -0700

CS-MARS is a very GREAT tool. I personally have used it at multiple employments and find it to be the best. Plus it has
some other very useful tools like netflow analysis. Also, when you set up the network devices, you can perform acl
pushes, shuns, and interface configurations. Automated and on-demand reports. Vulnerability assessment on rough or
possibly infected/attacked hosts. And many more....

Although CS-MARS is fairly expensive, if you're looking for another great syslogger, check out Sawmill. It's a really
good tool as well and has automated reports, stats, etc....

Side Note.... You should apply a few filters on acceptable traffic from host --> host on your IPS's. You can also set
the firewall logs to warnings so you don't get all the build connection notifications ( unless you need/want that ).
This can limit the amount of data that may or may not be necessary.