mailing list archives
RE: Was Re: RAID 5 drive replacement schedule - Now "Availability"
From: "Nick Vaernhoej" <nick.vaernhoej () capitalcardservices com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 08:47:40 -0500
Based on my interpretation it seems to me like your interpretation will
make a customer attempting to access his online banking but fails
because the ISP has issues a security concern because his data isn't
I think you say it best "It's about preventing unauthorized access and
change while maintaining it's useability to authorized users."
This means that regardless of our security implementations we have to
make the data available to users.
The availability criteria tries to make sure we do not unplug the server
in our efforts to avoid an incident.
It does not mean that hardware reliability becomes a security issue.
"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
- -----Original Message-----
- From: listbounce () securityfocus com
- [mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com] On Behalf Of Mike Hale
- Sent: Friday, June 20, 2008 4:10 PM
- To: Mike Hale
- Cc: Rivest, Philippe; Murda Mcloud; security-basics () securityfocus com
- Subject: Re: Was Re: RAID 5 drive replacement schedule - Now
- Availability is allowing your authorized users to access the data
- they need to.
- "that in its self is not _always_ a security concern, but it can be."
- I disagree with you. Availability is a fundamental portion of it
- because without availability, that data is useless. If you don't
- access to it when you need it, I think your security system has
- You're also correct that if a system crashes, data is no longer
- available. Sometimes, attacks on a network seek to do just that.
- As far as the definition of security (especially in terms of data),
- papers have been written trying to pin it down. I think at it's most
- basic, however, is CIA. Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability.
- It's about preventing unauthorized access and change while
- it's useability to authorized users.
This electronic transmission is intended for the addressee (s) named above. It contains information that is privileged,
confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby
notified that any review, disclosure, copy, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in
reliance on its contents, or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender that this message was received in error and then delete this message.