Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Company Badges
From: dheger () partners org
Date: 27 Jun 2008 15:05:28 -0000

Most companies use photo with name and employee ID number. I worked at one place where the card had all this info plus
it was your parking badge, you building/floor badge, AND your SSO badge to log in to your PC.  If you have security
guards, picture and name are important for verifying who you are when entering/leaving the premises. an employee ID
isn't good for much on the outside world, unless the company uses it as you part of your logon ID (my old company did
that, with E (for employee)in front it. Not too bright in my book, buy we had no trouble due to using 2-factor
authentication with the SSO cards. Check out NIST and Purdue or Carnegie Mellon for info on studies they've done. BTW,
when I had a security clearance for the government, my badge had my name and picture and some other info including
branch of service.....never had any trouble.

  By Date           By Thread