Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why open source software is more secure
From: "aliasghar.toraby () gmail com" <aliasghar.toraby () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 20:44:49 +0430

sapran wrote:
The main goal of a software vendor is not to bring you a _good_
product, but to sell it you. That is the only truth about that. That's
why the product might be fully featured, nicely decorated and
published on time: the vendor is economically motivated to make it
this way. But there's no sense to make it secure and stable because
the only motive for this is liability which does not exist software
industry.

There are two ways for things to become better. The first one is fully
described by Bruce Schneier it his "Secrets and Lies", the top book to
be read by all 'connected' folks. Its increasing of liability to the
level of its presence in other industries, for ex. banking or plane
building. And there is another, more utopic, to ignore the business
motives during the process of software development.

It may remind you the methods of decreasing of unemployment proposed
by Marks: to remove market economy at all. But this is a topic to be
thought out I guess, so your comments are welcome.

What do you mean about security?
I think that policy give a guaranty and security. And open source is a safe policy.

  By Date           By Thread