Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Hardware Firewall
From: "Kelly Keeton" <kellyrkeeton () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:05:10 -0800

Yes the ASA has a lot of use globally and installs in every market.
Its a great firewall for what it will do.

However Before you just buy a firewall I would look at your needs and
consider multiple vendors. If your just looking for a list of
reputable hardware firewalls here is some to consider. I would highly
suggest finding a reseller in your area that will allow you to demo
the equipment and test it out along with some advice for your
application. Every firewall has some strengths that might play very
good for your org where others might leave you lacking in what you
wanted.

Cisco-ASA
Secure Computing Sidewinder
Juniper Firewalls
Watchguard
Sonicwall

Every vendor will take care of different needs differently, the ASA
has very fast and efficient packet moving and great VPN. The Secure
will do great layer 7 protection but not so great VPN, Juniper are
work horses, not so much frilly stuff. Watchguard and Sonicwall cover
a lot of the middle market with great products.