Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: using promiscuous mode to tabulate network statistics
From: "Michael Boman" <michael.boman () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 06:18:59 +0100

nTop http://www.ntop.org
Darkstat http://dmr.ath.cx/net/darkstat/

More such programs are available, but this is what comes to mind at this hour...

Best Regards
Michael Boman

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Terra Frost <terrafrost () gmail com> wrote:
I have four computers all plugged into a hub and I'd like to see which
one (well, which IP address) is sending / receiving the most data.  To
do this, I was thinking I could just install a package that would
tabulate such statistics using promiscuous mode.  Wireshark can sniff
packets via promiscuous mode but if it can be used in this manner, I'm
unsure of how.

I'm also not interested in real time statistics - I just want to know
how much data has been sent / received since the analysis program has
been running.

Any ideas?

--
http://michaelboman.org - Security Blog & Wiki