Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Interpreting the results of an NMAP scan
From: "Andrew Kuriger" <a.kuriger () liquidphlux com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 10:37:08 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Dan,

It looks as if you have OWA
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Web_Access) running and this is
the reason for ports 80 and 443 being open. This allows users over the
internet to gain access to their e-mail over the internet, or local
intranet if you do not allow exchange access (the point of running
exchange).

If you ran your NMAP scan from outside the local inranet all the ports
you are seeing open are also available over the internet which is
probably not a good idea.

You most definitely do not want outsiders to be able to attempt
Brute/Dictionary attacks on your router (being linksys it is possible it
could be DoS'd fairly easily, and if the password is weak could very
well get owned (all traffic sniffed if the attacker gains access). Also,
since the linksys device uses HTTP AUTH any passwords are sent to the
device in plain text, a huge no no if you manage it over the internet
and you care about the business.

I would recommend looking into setting up a firewall to lock down some of
the ports that are unnedded over the internet (being port 25 if all it
is used to do is deliver and recieve e-mail. You may still want to allow
OWA but force users to use SSL at all times (port 443).

You could also look into NAT routing as a way of security as well only
allowing some ports (that you decide) to a specific machine.

Just a few things to look into.

Andrew Kuriger