Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Windows Server without AD?
From: "Scott Race" <scott () jda-networks com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 02:45:27 -0800

Hello, I have come across a Windows Server 2003 system that has not had
AD (or DNS or DHCP) installed on it.  It does have Terminal Services
installed (5 licenses) and there are local accounts setup for each user.
Single server for the organization.

What are the security implications of not having AD installed?  I'm
assuming one would be that it'd be easy to reset the local Admin
password and gain access to the box.

One note is that all the clients in the network are Macs, using RDP to
access this Terminal Server.

Thanks in advance.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1