Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: adding another defence layer against viruses/worms
From: Quark Group - Hilton Travis <Hilton () quarkgroup com au>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 07:37:51 +1100

G'day Juan,

The best move would be to deploy a good AV product instead of whichever one you're currently running.  The best one
around now (and since about 1999) is still NOD32, however you cannot run the latest version on Servers also running
Microsoft Exchange as the Eset guys seem to have deemed Exchange not worth updating for - their current version is 4.x
however the latest Exchange version is 2.7x, meaning you need to run an ancient version on Windows Server boxes running
Exchange - something I honestly cannot understand why they have left this way.

Aside from that issue, NOD32 has the best heuristics, best detection rates and outstandingly low false positive rates
*even* when Heuristics have been cranked up to the highest level.

So, I'd look at fixing the broken AV issue at the source, then look at other ways to implement better control of the
remote PCs, such as distributed AD controllers and using GPO for what it was designed for - control of servers and
desktops on the domain.

--

http://hiltont.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Hilton Travis                       Phone: +61 (0)7 3105 9101
(Brisbane, Australia)               Phone: +61 (0)419 792 394
Manager, Quark IT                   http://www.quarkit.com.au
         Quark Group                http://www.quarkgroup.com.au