Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Is snort an overkill for desktop only environment ?
From: pleed <pleed () koeln ccc de>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:37:48 +0100

Alexander Klimov wrote:
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, [ISO-8859-1] Jos? Manuel Molina Pascual wrote:

If you have the HW and some time to do it.... Why not?

Because every new software package you install is a potential
source of exploitable flaws, even more so if it is always
working and getting its inputs from network.

In my opinion NIDS on the host itself does not make the box more secure.
When deploying snort, you normaly want to know if there already has been a
_successful_ attack, because when connecting to the internet you re
always being
attacked but mostly without any affect to your system. In your case if
your desktop
is attacked successfully, i wouldnt trust the NIDS output anyway.
In addition snort is just helpfull if someone is looking into the alerts
24/7.

I think you should spend your time with more productive stuff. But for
educational purpose
playing with it is never wasted time.

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1