Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Transparent vs Routed Firewall
From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () chrisbrenton org>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 20:27:31 -0500

On Tue, 2010-02-09 at 17:28 +0530, Anil Waghmare wrote:

Thats why these days we get Firewalls which can understand many
application protocols and feature Deep Packet Inspection.

I always get a kick out of the "deep packet inspection" label. Its a
vaborware marketing term that does not mean squat. Stateful inspection
has the ability to analyze/react to the payload of a packet. DPI does
exactly the same thing. I'm not sure if the term was coined by some
marketing person who was trying to make their product look different
than everyone else, or if they had just been watching too many porn
movies. ;-)

HTH,

--
www.chrisbrenton.org

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1