Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Checkpoint smart defance as IPS
From: Trevor Alexander <trevor.alexander.email () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 12:13:32 -0600

An IPS that decrypts SSL does not exist. Research SSL and how it works
and you will understand why.

A simple solution to the problem (based on what I gathered from the
snippets of conversation) is to place a proxy on the outside edge of
the network; force all clients to use proxy. The proxy will recreate
the SSL connection with a given webserver on the net for the client
and any traffic that is passed back to a client will be decrypted by
the proxy on its way back. On the inside edge of the proxy, place an
IPS inline to inspect the decrypted traffic.