Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: product to send confidnetial informatiion to clients
From: "Valin, Christian" <Christian.Valin () ncogroup com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:25:27 -0500

Just one idea, a few different ways (there are many more than this
obviously):

If you don't need a VPN or SSH solution but only want to 'securely' send
some data intermittently, you might consider using email one of several
ways:

1.  You set up  secure web based mail server.  You send, over email, an
https link that points to the actual email message you want them to see.
Typically this is housed in your environment but it does not have to.
When the end user reads the mail, it will be over https and you have no
worries about the actual data having been stored and forwarded as
traditional email.  The transfer is encrypted and there are no worries
about traversing networks.

Of course, the data is not protected once it lands on the other
company's network.

2.  A less expensive proposition involves using Winzip to encrypt the
entire contents of your email and you send it via regular email; of
course, you arrange to deliver the password/passphrase out of band.
This might be ok for a one-time or rare event.

3.  If you are always sharing data with the same users, you might
consider encrypting emails automatically; exchange keys with partners
and tell Outlook to encrypt your emails.

It boils down to how much you can spend and what your end users can
support.

Christian