Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tool to check how good a windows server was hardened
From: Todd Haverkos <infosec () haverkos com>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 08:46:22 -0600

Juan B <juanbabi () yahoo com> writes:

 Hi all,

I am searching for a tool like MBSA from microfost which will run locally or
remotely and check how good a server was harden an maybe compre its security
status against market best practics, any suggestions?

thanks !

Configuration, Policy and compliance checking...  There are a lot of
goodies professing to do these things out there.  Which is best for
you depends on your audit drivers, what baseline/best practice you're
aiming for, and your existing systems management software base.

Commercial offerings in this space that I'm aware of include:

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcenter/en/us/configuration-manager/cm-desired-configuration-management.aspx
http://support.bigfix.com/bes/sites/clientcompliance.html
http://landesk.com/Products/Security-Suite/Index.aspx
http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/configuration-control.aspx
http://www.symantec.com/business/security-expressions
http://www.shavlik.com/shavlik-security-suite.aspx

While you can scrape similar configuration information out of hosts
with credentialed scans using network vulnerability scanners (Nessus,
Nexpose, and the like), what those lack are the configuration policy
templates/baselines that might be baked in to these more
compliance-centric products.

Best Regards,
--
Todd Haverkos, LPT MsCompE
http://haverkos.com/

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1