Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: how control movment of laptops in the bank
From: krymson () gmail com
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 08:32:55 -0700

Not to sound too snarky, but you're right, this is a job for physical security. If these devices don't need to actually
go anywhere, they should be physically locked down to the desk, and subsequently locked up any time they are not in
use. If one goes missing, there needs to be education that such an incident must be reported immediately. It would help
to include such a check on a regular basis per any good inventory practices.

In the case of projectors, I'd caution that the cost of protecting them may offset the cost of just losing one now and
then...

I like the thought of RFID, but we're really talking about on-hours theft, yeah? I mean, a bank is going to have far
more measures in place for physicaly security after-hours. So do you have an RFID and checkpoint on the egress points
and sound an alarm when someone is taking something? If so, then what do you or the guards do? If they're instructed to
allow a possibly dangerous subject go, then what's the point?

Likewise, I imagine the bank has cameras pretty much everywhere, and especially at all egress points, and maybe every
room. Perhaps an extra camera or two pointed at these assets would suffice.

I don't put a lot of faith in software protections/detections/tracking when it comes to laptop theft. All it takes is a
thief to not actually turn the device on, and you're bypassed. Preventing/detecting theft and recovering information
post-incident are definitely two different projects/problems.

<- snip ->
Hi,

im doing some consultant work for a bank, they are looking for a way to know how they can control if a projector or a
laptop is stolen. I know its an issue of physical security but still maybe there is an option to install a piece of
software on the laptops to alert if its gets out of the bulding.

thanks

juan

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1