Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Linux File Integrity Checker
From: Joe MacDonald <joe.macdonald () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 04:23:24 -0700 (PDT)

Charlie Clark-7 wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for a good, reliable file integrity checker for linux. So
I want it to build a database of md5 sums of each file on the machine
(excluding a few directories) and each hour or so check these
checksums against the current files and if any have changed to send an
alert email. It would also be good if it would check the monitored
directories for new files and send an alert email if any new files had
been created.

Is there a good piece of software to do this on linux or will I have
to write it myself?

It's not exactly what you asked for, but it does the job that Tripwire or
AIDE does, but I think it does it much better.  Configurable on a
system-wide or per-directory / per-file basis, whatever you need, capable of
doing remote logging and active system monitoring.  Samhain.
http://la-samhna.de

-J.
--

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1