Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Web site defacing
From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler () tysdomain com>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 10:44:19 -0700

On 11/14/2011 12:34 AM, a bv wrote:
Hi,

what kind of vulnerabilities , methodologies does it allow to deface a
web site? And what must be the countermeasures regarding these?

There are numerous issues that can allow this. The thing to keep in mind, is "defacing" only requires alteration of the content. So, this means access to how the content is stored. If you are using static html pages, that could be done through FTP or whatever mechenism you use to upload your content to the site. If you use dynamic content, such as a CMS system, that could be done by accessing the database where the content is stored, either through connecting to the database server, using sql injections, etc.

Regards

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1

--

Take care,
Ty