Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: CEH program and Sybex Study Guide
From: Jeff Stebelton <jeff.stebelton () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 13:14:46 -0400

I would say you get what you pay for. If you want top notch, real
world instructors, relevant hands on material, and a total conference
experience (SANS () Night sessions, key-noters, etc.) it's going to cost
money. I've been attending SANS conferences since 2002 and there are
tons of folks there from overseas, who not only think the tuition is
well worth it but also are willing to pay the cost of overseas travel
as well (my lab buddy in 2007 was from Belgium and worked for NATO).
If you check out the training cost at BlackHat or other big
conferences, SANS is right in line with others. If you want to go
something for a couple hundred bucks, or free, there's always DefCon
or Security B-Sides. My company thinks the value I get from SANS is
worth it (we sent four people this year from a five member department,
and the other guy went to CISSP training). The company I worked for
previously sent me to SANS six times.