Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Host responses only in case of range scan
From: Martin T <m4rtntns () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 03:02:21 +0300

Hello,
if I execute following command:

nmap -PN -p443 -T4 -sS --reason 10.10.10.0/27 | grep -A3 10.10.10.1

..I get following results:

[root@ ~]# nmap -PN -p443 -T4 -sS --reason 10.10.10.0/27 | grep -A3 10.10.10.1
Nmap scan report for 10.10.10.1
Host is up, received user-set (0.019s latency).
PORT    STATE SERVICE REASON
443/tcp open  https   syn-ack
[root@ ~]#

Now if I scan only this particular host:

nmap -PN -sS -p443 -T4 --reason 10.10.10.1

..the TCP port 443 seems to be filtered:

[root@ ~]# nmap -PN -sS -p443 -T4 --reason 10.10.10.1

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2011-09-11 02:53 EEST
Nmap scan report for 10.10.10.1
Host is up, received user-set.
PORT    STATE    SERVICE REASON
443/tcp filtered https   no-response

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.09 seconds
[root@ ~]#

How to explain this?

regarding,
martin

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1