Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Penetration Testing Software
From: "Eggleston, Mark" <meggleston () HEALTHPART COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 13:40:42 -0400

Yes, there is indeed such a thing as penetration testing software.  If
this is specifically what you are looking for you'll quickly find there
are much less pen testing software out there vs. vulnerability
assessment software.  In addition to what is already listed as pen test
tools (Core Impact, w3f, Nexpose/Metasploit) you may also be interested
in evaluating Saint.

Depending upon the target of your pen testing (network versus web apps)
you may find more tools to specifically pen test web apps.  For example
Nikto or I'm becoming a big fan of Qualys web app testing as they have a
nice module within Qualys Guard that will run the SQL injection, XSS and
other exploits.

My hope is that leading vendors will continue to evolve their products
such that vulnerability assessment and pen testing modules are packaged
together which will in turn generate concise and valuable reports.

Hope this helps.

Mark Eggleston, CISSP, GSEC, CHPS
Manager, Security and Business Continuity