Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: VPN Service
From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 11:58:46 -0800

   Traditionally, VPNs have been a service that corporate/institutional IT
departments have implemented to allow their users to access internal
resources remotely and securely.  This doesn't appear to be what you have in
mind.

  Only within the last 3-6 months, I've started getting spammed (NOT a
recommendation!) by mysterious third parties offering VPN services "to the
Internet", apparently as a way to secretly violate local Acceptable Use
policies.  It's true that if I use a protocol like POP3 or FTP (which don't
encrypt credentials), using a service like this should hide my credentials
from any local sniffers; on the flip side, it makes them visible to these
unknown third parties who are at least spammers and, for all I know, also
phishers.
  This is a rather strange definition of "security", abandoning any attempt
at Integrity or Availability and ensuring Confidentiality only with respect
to people you probably know and, if they prove untrustworthy, you might
actually have some recourse against.

  Privacy is only a subset of Confidentiality, which in turn is a subset of
Security.  Saying "security" when one really means "Privacy" is a common
error.  And trusting an unknown stranger of dubious scruples to shield you
from all other unscrupulous folks sounds like an invitation to be
exploited....

David Gillett, CCNP CISSP