Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Recommendation for a comprehensive security audit
From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 13:43:28 -0700 (PDT)

Andre,

I don't endorse any audit firm because there are too many out there to do so fairly, and I don't work for an audit firm.
Being that you're handling payments, then perhaps the BITS FISAP (Financial Industry Shared Assessment Program) audit
process will meet your needs.  It is internationally developed and administered.  Here are just a couple of reference
links and you can certainly search for others.

http://www.mortgagebankers.org/files/Conferences/2006/LegalIssuesInMortgageTechnology2006/3-4DataSecurity-MarcLoewenthal.pdf

http://sharedassessments.org/
http://sharedassessments.org/about/
http://sharedassessments.org/assessment-firms/

That type of audit is not cheap (~$100K US for mid-size companies, using reputable audit firms).  You could also have
your company audited using SSAE-16 models (SOC-1/2/3).
http://www.ssae-16.com/
http://ssae16.com/
The price tag will be about the same though.  The BITS audit may be advantageous in that it goes deeper into physical
security, development environments, etc., which seem to be important to you.  But the SSAE-16 model may be advantageous
because it comes with an audit firm's opinion, whereas the BITS report only gives testing results with no opinion on
the overall security posture.  One size does not fit all.

An ISO 27001 / 27002 audit may be desirable.  This list is sorely lacking, but has some audit firms in the UK who
provide that service.

http://www.27000.org/consultants.htm#uk

Being that you're with a start-up firm that may not have deep pockets, you could always have your Internet-facing
architecture scanned using PCI and other standard web vulnerability tests.  That is relatively inexpensive.  Then you
could bolt on other audits (physical security, policies and procedures, internal vulnerability and risk management,
business continuity, change control, network security, etc.) as time and budget allows.
Here is a list of Approved Scanning Vendors of that type.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/approved_companies_providers/approved_scanning_vendors.php

I'm familiar with a few of those vendors, but again I don't want to endorse any firm.  I will say that sometimes you
get what you pay for.  I've seen at least one of those report a number of false-positives on a recurring basis.  Their
price tag is cheap, but if I have to go behind each report and re-test everything myself only to find and prove that
the findings are inaccurate and those vulnerabilities don't exist, then the value of the service certainly diminishes.
Food for thought.

Peace,
Vic