Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question about passwd file (Linux)
From: Matthew Caron <Matt.Caron () redlion net>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:22:53 -0500

On 02/08/2013 07:24 AM, Arpita Gavshinde wrote:
security-basics () securityfocus comHi all,

I have a question about passwd file in Linux where when 'x' for a
particular user is deleted from /etc/passwd file, system doesnot ask
for password to log into the system.

Right, because it's now an empty password.

But when pasword is set again
for that user again, then instead of showing 'x' in /etc/passwd file,
MD5 hash of new password is shown.

Right, because you've set a password.

Why is it so ?

Why wouldn't it be so? I guess I don't understand what you're asking or what you want to have happen.

--
Matthew Caron, Software Build Engineer
Sixnet, a Red Lion business | www.sixnet.com

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1