Home page logo
/

basics logo Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Network Segregation to prevent spread of malware
From: Steve Figures <sfigures () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:41:32 +0000

You can reduce the risk of malware spreading between network segments by placing IPS interfaces between the segments.

The IPS will need to be configured, tuned to suit your legitimate traffic & have an appropriate blocking policy, then
monitored for alerts to be fully effective.

It is a lot of work but we have successfully contained worms in this way. It does help your security posture too, so
the investment in equipment & resource is worthwhile. It can protect you from more than just worms, it can mitigate
against user gullibility for phishing & other vulnerabilities too. You have to assess whether your business case will
support that investment, as it is not something that you can buy, install & ignore.

Steve Figures