Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SunOS 4.1.4 fingerd
From: Niko.Makila () csc fi (Niko Makila)
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 09:53:17 +0300

Dave Dittrich's message dated: Thu, 16 May 1996 13:04:07 PDT

The trick, as I learned it, was to use @@XXX.com on Ultrix systems.
After a quick test, I notice that single letters and "." don't work on
Ultrix, but any digit or "@" does.  Go figure.  Probably some Berkeley
student had a hangover the day they coded finger?

Yes, the hangover is possible.

But, actually I recall that this was originally a feature: you could
finger people by their room number (or was that phone?), too.  Seeing
that this probably never worked except in Berkeley, it's amazing that
that piece of code was never removed.  Oh well, maybe it isn't that
amazing after all...

        //niko

  By Date           By Thread