Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BUG in /bin/bash
From: Dan_Thorson () notes seagate com (Dan Thorson)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:52:12 -0400

I've tried Solaris 2.5 (unpatched) with the same results.  I'll report on 2.5
using recommended patches if I see anything different.

Solaris 2.4
Debian linux 1.1
Irix 5.2
OSF/1 3.2
SunOS 4.1.1
Ultrix 4.2

Roger Espel Llima wrote:

VULNERABILITY:  A variable declaration error in "bash" allows the
character
                with value 255 decimal to be used as a command separator.

  That reminds me of a similar "little-known feature" on SunOS and
Solaris, where /bin/sh interprets '^' as a synonym for '|' :

$ sh -c 'echo blah ^ cat'
blah

.>   Again this could be exploited to fool CGI scripts (and ircII scripts
too) which execute shell commands with user-supplied data, after
checking for things like ';', '|' and '&'.

  By Date           By Thread