Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: request-route
From: bennett () HPL UMCES EDU (Eric Bennett)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:36:55 -0400

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Zoltan Hidvegi wrote:

As far as I know, there is no portable way to safely create
lock files in a world-writable directory from a bourne-shell script.

I have done this by creating directories instead of files: only one mkdir
will complete.  You can also create a pid-specific file and then ln it to the
common lockfile - only one ln will complete (without the -f flag).

I'm not sure if ln is save over NFS, but I beleive that mkdir is.

        Eric B.

  By Date           By Thread