Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Digital Unix 4.0E /var permission
From: v13 () AETOS IT TEITHE GR (Harhalakis Stefanos)
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 02:56:40 +0200

 I don't think tha having more than one 'root passwords' is secure.
If you want someone to have root privileges give him the root password.
In any other case you want him to not be albe to become root..

 For the xlogin.. I did not say anything different than yours.. Anyway
As far as i remember in clogin there is an if that looks if you want cde
or xdm. If cde is selected , then one of the programs/scripts that is
executed is changing the permissions. This is NOT from the OS, but from
the window manager... I don't think that CDE may judge whether or not /var
needs g+w, unless it realy need this...
I thought that the way the scripts are called and the link-staff
was not relative and was known.... Nothing new there..
And one more thing.. If you decide to use a different partition
for /var, then it is not a symlink to /usr/var, but /usr/var is
a symlink to /var.. (This was our case)

<<V13>>

p.s. In the original mail I wrote /var/sbin.... which was a mistake..