Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NT WinLogon VM contains plaintext password visible in admin mode
From: mad.nutter () MINDLESS COM (Chris Paget)
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 11:01:38 GMT

I contacted MS about this and they indicated it was fixed in
NT 4.0 SP5 - I have not retested it on SP5 yet to be sure.

This has been fixed under NT4 SP6 - the first 10,000 bytes of the
winlogon process are not accessible, and the rest of the memory space
appears to have nothing interesting in it - all I managed to retrieve
were actual environment variables.  Windows 2000 RC2 is the same - I
have not tested RC3, but I would assume it too is fixed.

Chris

--
Chris Paget
C++ Developer - NetInvest LTD.