mailing list archives
word 97 macrovirus protection problem
From: thomas () 88 NET (thomas lakofski)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 22:37:53 +0000
i recently noticed, while dealing with a macro virus going around my
office (too new for latest av software), that word 97's 'macro virus
protection' feature doesn't work when printing documents directly from
1) open document
2) word pops up macro warning dialog
3) click 'disable'
4) open visual basic editor and delete the module containing the virus
but, if like i was, you're printing a few documents and one happens to
have a virus:
1) select multiple documents
2) right click, select 'print' context menuitem
3) word opens each document sequentially and prints them, including the
document with a virus in it. word doesn't ask about the macros in this
document, just goes ahead and enables them anyway.
4) i now have a macro virus in my normal.dot, with no indication of ever
having run a macro-containing file.
[skip rant on stupid macro security model]
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2 C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 supercomputer-AES-xspook