Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Wordpad vulnerability, exploitable also in IE for Win9x
From: sanford.whiteman () INTERNAL CONVEY COM (Sanford Whiteman)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 18:29:32 -0500

Sorry, I don't see this as a real vulnerability, any more than WordPad
itself is vulnerable.  It's my belief that anything that requires you to
*double-click* in an external application is well outside of the realm of
web-based vulnerabilities.  The single-click "view-source:" action itself
does not count as an exploit, because it only opens an RTF file, and from
there the user is, in my opinion, fully responsible for his/her actions.
It's kind of like saying that a file:/// link to c:\ is a vulnerability
because a non-savvy user might double-click on AUTOEXEC.BAT.  Or like saying
that a link to a Word Document is a vulnerability because, if the user has
macro warning turned off, an AutoOpen macro might execute.

I welcome your response(s)...

Sandy Whiteman