Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SSH & xauth
From: robert () CYRUS WATSON ORG (Robert Watson)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 21:10:06 -0500

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Niels Provos wrote:

This thread was about how default configurations can have negative
impact on security. You mention the CheckHostIP option in OpenSSH.
CheckHostIP defaults to 'yes'.  It introduces only additional checks
and has not influence on permitting an SSH session to proceed. Thus it
has no negative impact on your system security.

Please see below for a more detailed discussion of this issue.

I do not agree with your assumption that most SSH servers use dynamic
IP addresses.  I believe that for the majority of users the contrary
is true.  However, if you are in an environment with dynamic IP
addresses, you can turn the CheckHostIP option off.

I did not assume that most SSH servers use dynamic IP addresses--what I
did assert is that the number of servers using dynamic IP addresses will
increase due to a number of factors, not least the increased access to
broadband connectivity in the US, and the increase in use of personal UNIX
operating systems.  Many of the traditional static IP environments are
also converting to dynamic allocation due to improved ease of management,
as well as limited address space.  Our security tools should be developed
with this increasingly common environment in mind, and make use of
defaults that are appropriate for that environment.

Keep in mind also that a gradual introduction of IPv6 is occurring in a
number of frameworks--not so much in the UIS, but certainly in other less
IP-rich parts of the world.  IPv6 not only assumes renumbering, but in
fact one of the goals is to make this much easier.  In IPv4 with CIDR, as
in IPv6, the IP address has to do with packet routing, identifying
interfaces, not services on hosts.

In message <Pine.NEB.3.96L.1000225211428.18984A-100000 () fledge watson org>, Robe