mailing list archives
From: aleph1 () SECURITYFOCUS COM (Elias Levy)
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:53:05 -0800
Well it seems that EICAR attachment set off a lot of alarms. To clear
things up the EICAR file is a test file used to test an antivirus
basic functions are working. You can find out more about EICAR at
A reminder: BUGTRAQ is a vulnerability mailing list. As such some of
the content posted to it can be downright dangerous. For all you know
someone may post a working exploit against your mail program which will
execute once you open a message. So remember to be paranoid.
Some things to keep in mind:
* Don't read BUGTRAQ using an HTML capable MUA.
* Don't read BUGTRAQ using a scriptable MUA.
* Don't read BUGTRAQ using a MIME capable MUA with a questionable mailcap file.
* Don't read BUGTRAQ using "smart" MUA that interprets the message contents.
* Don't trust executable attachments such as binaries or macro capable
* Do use an antivirus program.