Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-063)
From: Dan Harkless <dan-bugtraq () DILVISH SPEED NET>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 13:50:10 -0700

Massimo Ferrario <massimo.ferrario () inforeti it> writes:
At 03.34 06/09/2000 -0700, Dan Harkless wrote:
Microsoft Product Security <secnotif () MICROSOFT COM> writes:
Patch Availability
==================
 - Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, Server and Server,
   Enterprise Edition:
   http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=24079

At this time, neither the Alpha nor Intel versions of the patch are
downloadable from that page.  They just come up with an "HTTP 404 - File not
found".

Hopefully this will be corrected soon...

I still cannot find the patches ... did you succeed in downloading them?
For the download I am directed to
a) http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/Release.asp?ReleaseID=24079
tha points to
b)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/winntsp/Patch/q271652/NT4ALPHA/EN-US/
Q271652i.EXE
(URLs may be wrapped)

I think it is strange that only you and me complained about this issue!

No, a bunch of people have emailed me directly asking what I said in that
post that the Bugtraq moderator(s) mysteriously refused to approve.

I'm cc'ing this to Bugtraq in the hopes that they'll approve it and people
won't have to keep emailing me directly.

In any case, at first the patch was coming up 404.  Some time later I
refreshed the Release.asp page and I believe the coloring of the patch
hyperlink changed from "visited" to "unvisited", so presumably the original
URL was wrong.

At this point I tried to download again, but download.microsoft.com was not
resolving via DNS.  To get around this, I had to do a whois on
microsoft.com, then query their nameservers one by one until I found one
that wasn't broken and would give me an IP for download.microsoft.com.  I
then substituted this IP in the patch URL.

If you're sure you have an up-to-date view of the Release.asp page and
you've worked around any remaining DNS resolution problems and are still not
getting the patch, then I can't help -- guess Microsoft had it working then
broke it again.

Dan Harkless                   | To prevent SPAM contamination, please
dan-bugtraq () dilvish speed net  | do not mention this private email
SpeedGate Communications, Inc. | address in Usenet posts.  Thank you.

  By Date           By Thread