Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

More about UW c-client library
From: Juhapekka Tolvanen <juhtolv () ST JYU FI>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 00:18:14 +0300

Here is more information about that bug.

http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=70647

It seems, that they will have some patch real soon:

(CLIP HERE)

Upon a quick glance, there indeed appears to be no checks at all
for buffer overflows. A buf of 8k is allocated into which the
From:, Status:, X-Status, and X-Keywords: headers are placed,
with simple

      sprintf (buf + strlen (buf),"...

commands. So having extremely long X-Keywords in mail messages
will screw things up. Double yuck.

This is in imap-4.7c/src/osdep/unix/unix.c BTW.

See the original message and the accompanying thread in debian-devel,
archive/latest/67244 , Message-ID <39AD820C.6AD0818C () axis com> from
Cristian Ionescu-Idbohrn <cii () axis com>

Ok, I've patched unix.c to use snprintf(3) instead of sprintf(3).  This
is
only the tip of the iceberg however.  There is a source code scanner
called its4 which checks for unsafe coding practices and I ran it on
imapd.  The report was about a mile long :(

(CLIP HERE)

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * * U of Jyväskylä * * juhtolv () st jyu fi
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/index.html * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW!"