Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Minor IE vulnerability: about: URLs
From: Simon Kornblith <slists () simonster com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:34:25 -0400

On 10/19/01 5:47 PM, "Pedro Miller Rabinovitch" <pedro () ciphertech com br>
wrote:

At 17:13 +0200 19.10.01, Clover Andrew wrote:
Versions:

Assume all versions of IE/Win are vulnerable. Status of IE under other
platforms is unknown. Versions tested:

4.72.3612.1713 (SP2; 3283)
5.00.3315.1000 (SP2)
5.50.4522.1800
6.0.2600.0000

I've confirmed the bug in the above.

In MacOs 9.1, IE5 and IE4.5 do not expose the hidden about:
'feature'. Thus, they don't seem to be vulnerable.

As a U.S. Senator recently said (as quoted by Wired magazine) on the
whole security problem: "Use a Mac." ;-)
(please take this comment with a truckload of salt. I *am* j/k)

I can also confirm that IE 5.1 for Mac OS X isn't vulnerable. It just shows
the entire thing in the title of the about box, even if you type in
about:</title>. Not sure if this was the same outcome as IE5 and IE4.5, it
probably was.

A Microsoft chap pointed out that sites can already break out of the
Restricted Sites Zone, simply by pointing at another site that is
not in that Zone.

Simon

  By Date           By Thread