mailing list archives
Security Update: [CSSA-2002-SCO.8] OpenServer: dlvr_audit: exploitable buffer overflow
From: security () caldera com
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:12:20 -0800
To: bugtraq () securityfocus com announce () lists caldera com scoannmod () xenitec on ca
Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory
Subject: OpenServer: dlvr_audit: exploitable buffer overflow
Advisory number: CSSA-2002-SCO.8
Issue date: 2002 March 11
1. Problem Description
The dlvr_audit command has an exploitable buffer overflow that
can be used by a malicious user to become root.
2. Vulnerable Supported Versions
Operating System Version Affected Files
OpenServer 5.0.5, 5.0.6 /etc/auth/dlvr_audit
This has already been fixed in OpenServer 5.0.6a.
4.1 Location of Fixed Binaries
MD5 (oss645a) = ebfbb4d2931fb83e8ccc2390868bb11f
md5 is available for download from
4.3 Installing Fixed Binaries
Upgrade the affected binaries with the following commands:
You MUST first install "SLS OSS640A: BIND Update" before
attempting to install this SLS. SLS OSS640A installs files
that are necessary for OSS645A (this SLS) to function
1. Download the OSS645A media image file
(ftp.caldera.com/pub/openserver5/oss645a), place the file
in the /tmp directory and rename the file by typing these
mv /tmp/oss645a /tmp/VOL.000.000
2. Run the Software Manager with the command:
# scoadmin software
or double-click on the Software Manager icon in the
3. Pull down the "Software" menu and select "Install New".
4. When prompted for the host from which to install, choose
the local machine and then "Continue".
5. In the "Select Media" menu, pull down the "Media Device"
menu. Select "Media Images", then choose "Continue".
6. When prompted for the "Image Directory", enter "/tmp" (or
the directory where you placed the VOL file in step 1) and
7. When prompted to select software to install, make sure that
the "OSS645A: Audit Subsystem Security Supplement" entry is
highlighted. Choose "Install".
8. Installation of SLS OSS645A is now complete. To exit the
Software Manager, select "Exit" from the "Host" menu.
This and other advisories are located at
This advisory addresses Caldera Security internal incidents
Caldera International, Inc. is not responsible for the misuse
of any of the information we provide on our website and/or
through our security advisories. Our advisories are a service
to our customers intended to promote secure installation and
use of Caldera International products.
This vulnerability was discovered and researched by Tomasz
- Security Update: [CSSA-2002-SCO.8] OpenServer: dlvr_audit: exploitable buffer overflow security (Mar 12)