Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Gravity Storm Service Pack Manager 2000 Share Vulnerability
From: "'ken'@FTU" <ken_at_ftu () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:32:28 -0500

On a default installation of Service Pack Manager 2000 for WindowsNT and 2000 by Gravity Storm Software, the software creates a hidden share called SPM2000c$. This share is mapped to C:\. In all cases I found critical directories readable and at times (depending on the OS configuration) writeable to everyone remotely.

I found the following directory at least readable:

C:\winnt\system32\repair

I found

C:\winnt\system32

directory writable.

The impact should be obvious.

I contacted the software vendor. They uploaded a new version of their software: they reported that it should not have this problem. I cannot verify this because I did not test it.

Apart from this vulnerability, I must say that I liked the software when I reviewed it. (But if you don't like it, don't blame me!) To quote their website (since I'm tired tonight), "It allows to manage Windows NT/2000 Service Packs and Hotfixes on the enterprise network in a cost-efficient way. You can remotely detect, track, monitor, and install Service Packs and Hotfixes on your network."

I am not associated with Gravity Storm Software. But, perhaps they might give me a free licenced copy should I increase their sales. :)

They can be found at:
http://www.securitybastion.com/

Cheers,
'ken'@FTU

--
"I grew convinced that truth, sincerity and integrity in dealings between man and man were of the utmost importance to the felicity of life, and I formed a written resolution to practise them ever while I lived."
        -Benjamin Franklin, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

  By Date           By Thread