Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: xscreensaver exploit for Redhat 7.3
From: Steven Leikeim <steven () enel ucalgary ca>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 14:56:27 -0700

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 06:26:41PM -0000, Angelo Rosiello wrote:

I think you don't need other comments:

/*
**
** Tested on rh 7.3 using XFree86
** xscreensaver vulnerability
** AUTHORS: Angelo Rosiello (Guilecool) & deka
** REQUIRES: X must be run!
** EFFECTS: local root exploit!
**

Oddly enough, this does NOT work on my RedHat 7.3 installation. I have the
default xscreensaver RPM installed (xscreensaver-3.33-4).

When I run this, xscreensaver DOES dump core, however, xscreensaver is not
suid root and so will not itself give a root exploit. Perhaps there is an
expected interaction with the X server (which is running as root) but this
is not clear from Angelo's message.

Steven Leikeim
University of Calgary

  By Date           By Thread