Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

uninitialized buffer in midnight commander
From: "Ilya Teterin" <alienhard () mail ru>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:47:23 +0400

Midnight Commander is using uninitialized buffer for handling symlinks in VFS (tar, cpio). See vfs/direntry.c, handling
of buf[] at vfs_s_resolve_symlink(). I wonder but it works almost properly ;-)

On linux-i386 I can reach stack buffer overflow using specially crafted archive. Open http://buggzy.narod.ru/exp.tgz in
mc's VFS to test (mc will crash).

Affected systems/vendors/archs: at least linux-i386, mc-4.5.52 to mc-4.6.0, too lazy to test others ;-)

P.S. Greetings to iDEFENSE VCP. I'm tired and hungry ;)

  By Date           By Thread