mailing list archives
WebAPP directory traversal and ability to retrieve the DES encrypted password hash
From: "Jérôme" ATHIAS <jerome.athias () caramail com>
Date: 24 Aug 2004 15:42:51 -0000
WebAPP is advertised as the internet's most feature rich,
easy to run PERL based portal system.
Its home site is at http://www.web-app.org/
Some features are :
-Easy to Install on standard Unix servers!
(Windows user-supported only!)
-Private messaging between members
-Blog-style News Articles
-Links and Downloads
-Multiple language support
-Flat-file System-NO SQL DATABASE!
Several user mods are also available which ranges from chat
to e-commerce applications.
Several vulnerabilities in these mods have already been
The WebAPP system itself has a serious reverse directory
1) Go to http://vulnerable-target.xxx/cgi-bin/index.cgi
/this is their main support site/
2) Click on Articles on the main menu at the left side of
3) Click on any of the icons representing the misc topics
available /i chose the "bugs" section/
4) You'll wind up with the url "http://vulnerable-target.xxx/cgi-bin/index.cgi?action=topics&viewcat=bugs"
on the address bar on your browser. Change it to
5)View the html source for the page
A more interesting file to look at would be;
View the html source code and scroll down until you come to
the line with;
"adUCOOzV2ljgg" is the hashed password of the Administrator.
It's standard DES encrypted so you can
run a password cracking program to crack it
Every user would have a corresponding .dat file within the
Greetz to PATz, Luvchr|s, Verum, Fed-X, rebarz99, hEps,
ch1m3ra, and sa mga posers na kupal sa #oneball
- WebAPP directory traversal and ability to retrieve the DES encrypted password hash Jérôme (Aug 24)