Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Countering Trusting Trust through Diverse Double-Compiling
From: Mike Lisanke <mikelisanke () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:41:33 -0500

David,

I haven't read the original attack description recently, but; I seam
to remember that the ability of the tampered compiler to inject
malicious code could be stateful. Either a timing attack, or a attack
after n-builds, so that malicious code is injected in an arbitrary,
pseudo-random, less detectable way. Also, that this code would be
injected based on compiler state conditions (like after keywords
indicated that the code may be network based). I haven't read your
paper, yet; but; I'd be interested know where you'd plan to discuss
scenarios where your counter attack would fail. Thank you.

Best regards,
--
Mike

  By Date           By Thread