Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: /dev/random is probably not
From: Glynn Clements <glynn () gclements plus com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 15:59:28 +0100

"Zow" Terry Brugger wrote:

It's been a while since I looked at the /dev/random design on Linux
(probably the early 2.4 days), however one thing that was quite
clear was that they did not use any network I/O as entropy sources
because an attacker, particularly one that already had control of
other machines on the same LAN segment, could have a high degree of
control over that source.

They don't need to have any control; simply being able to observe
network traffic means that it is no longer random (in the sense of
"unpredictable", which is what counts from a security perspective).

--
Glynn Clements <glynn () gclements plus com>

  By Date           By Thread