Home page logo
/

bugtraq logo Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Microsoft DNS resolver: deliberately sabotagedhosts-file lookup
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor () hammerofgod com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:22:32 -0700

Then you've hosed your XP install.  XP does not resolve cached addresses
before the hosts file.

Ping your 1918 domain controller.  Add a bogus entry for the FQDN of the
same machine.  Ping it again.  Hosts file overrides. I'm not sure what you
mean by "DNS failiures" though.  Please post something we can all use to
test your rotten but unsurprising behavior.

Oh, and before getting very frustrated, even in your hosed install, just try
a "IPCONFIG /flushdns" next time.

On 4/17/06 5:33 AM, "john () johnsdomain org" <john () johnsdomain org> spoketh to
all:

The XP DNS client has other problems as well.  It caches DNS failiures
(arguably out of spec with the RFC, BTW), screwing up VPNs if you're VPNed
into an internet network that has local domains which need to resolve to
RFC1918 addresses.  The cached failed lookups get prefered to forced entries
in the hosts file, if that is tried as a way of forcing the dns lookups to
work.  Very frustrating.  So, this isn't much of a surprise.  Rotten, yes,
surprising, no.

  By Date           By Thread