mailing list archives
Layered Defense Advisory: TrendMicro OfficesScan Corporate Edition Format String Vulnerability
From: dh () layereddefense com
Date: 1 Oct 2006 22:04:04 -0000
Layered Defense Research Advisory 1 October 2006
1) Affected Software TrendMicro OfficeScan Corporate Edition 7.3
Rating: Medium risk
Impact: Execution of arbitrary code, potential remote exploit, and denial of service.
3) Description of Vulnerability A format string vulnerability was discovered within Trendmicro OfficeScan Corporate
Edition 7.3. The vulnerability is due to improper processing of format strings within OfficeScan Management consoles
ActiveX Control "ATXCONSOLE.OCX". Specially crafted format string passed back to the Management consoles Remote Client
Install name search would allow access to the process stack. If successfully exploited, this could allow the user to
execute code of the attackers choice on the system running the ActiveX management Console.
4) Solution The solutions to fix this vulnerability is addressed by OfficeScan Corporate Edition 7.3 Patch 1
5) Time Table
06/27/2006 -- Reported Vulnerability to Vendor.
06/30/2006 -- Vendor supplied hot fix to Layered Defense for testing.
09/21/2006 -- Vendor releases fix in Patch 1 to public.
6) Credits Discovered by Deral Heiland, www.LayeredDefense.com
7) About Layered Defense Research
Layered Defense Research, Is a group of security professionals that work together on ethical Research, Testing and
Training within the information security arena.
- Layered Defense Advisory: TrendMicro OfficesScan Corporate Edition Format String Vulnerability dh (Oct 02)