mailing list archives
CVE-2009-2898: Hyperic HQ - Stored XSS in alerts list
From: SpringSource Security Team <security () springsource com>
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 22:56:03 +0100
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
CVE-2009-2898: Stored XSS in alerts list
Versions Affected: Hyperic HQ 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, 4.2-beta1. Earlier,
unsupported versions may also be affected
in the Description field. When a user visits the Alerts list, the
Description field of every alert is displayed without properly escaping
especial HTML characters, thus leading to a persistent XSS.
3.2 users should upgrade to 3.2.6 and then apply the 126.96.36.199 patch
4.0 users should upgrade to 4.0.3 and then apply the 188.8.131.52 patch
4.1 users should upgarde to 4.1.2 and then apply the 184.108.40.206 patch
4.2-beta1 users should upgrade to 4.2-beta2 or later
To protect against this issue until patches have been applied, system
administrators should ensure untrusted users do not have the necessary
privileges to create alerts.
This vulnerability was discovered and researched by Gastón Rey and Pablo
Carballo from Core Security Technologies during Core Bugweek 2009.
Obtaining the security patches:
The security patches may be obtained from:
Applying the security patches:
The security patches may be applied by following these steps:
1. If you are not already running version 3.2.6, 4.0.3 or 4.1.2, you
must upgrade to one of these versions.
2. Download the zip file containing the appropriate patch for your version.
3. Stop the Hypric HQ server.
4. Copy the original hq-engine/server/default/deploy/hq.ear/hq.jar to a
safe location outside of the Hyperic HQ installation
5. Copy the original
a safe location outside of the Hyperic HQ installation
6. Extract the hq.jar and hq_jsp.jar files from the zip file
7. Replace hq-engine/server/default/deploy/hq.ear/hq.jar with the hq.jar
file you extracted in step 6.
with the hq_jsp.jar file you extracted in step 6.
9. Start the Hyperic HQ server.
Note: applying this patch will correct CVE-2009-2897 and CVE-2009-2898
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- CVE-2009-2898: Hyperic HQ - Stored XSS in alerts list SpringSource Security Team (Oct 05)